The inspiration to do a one-of-a-kind grandiose gingerbread castle came from recent family trip to Europe. The Houdre family had the opportunity to visit several remarkable chateauxs, particularly, Mont Saint Michel and la cite de Carcassonne, one of Europe's most complete examples of a fortified abbey.
The castle is entirely edible, and comprised of the following sumptuous ingredients:
- 70 pounds of gingerbread
- 130 pounds of pastillage (Powdered sugar, egg whites and gelatin dough)
- 40 pounds of pulled and bubble sugar
- Royal icing made of 300 pounds of sugar and egg whites
- 40 pounds of molasses
- 60 pounds of flour
- 100 pounds of assorted Christmas Candy
- And 360 hours of hard work!